English : ongoing passion of mine!

Friday, July 21, 2006

Beach (phobia)

I could not swim. Therefore, when I was above the water, e.g. on a bridge or on a ferry boat, I used to wonder how deep the river was and what if I fell into. But one day when I went to Kuta beach, Bali years ago,I found that water was not as scary as I thought. I found it was very amusing to be in the water, even though I could not swim. Some years later when I went to Parangtritis beach, Jogjakarta, I felt the same way. I spent almost three hours in the water and did not stop until sunset. So fun!



But after the tsunami happened last Monday (July 17, 2006), I doubt whether in the near future I still can play in the beach without worrying about being "attacked" by the water. I know disaster does not happen everyday. I do aware that my life or death does not belong to the water. But my old fear about water has come back due to the tsunami. Maybe for the near future, being in the water would not be my preference.